Alex Bone is a Partner and a UK Chartered and European Patent Attorney in the Engineering, Physics and Mechanical devices department. Alex has specialist expertise in gas & oil exploration, medical devices, food packaging and automotive parts.
"AA Thornton's level of service is 'outstanding' - 'timeliness and appropriateness of advice are a constant' according to clients, who rate the level of scientific knowledge displayed by the partners and associate lawyers as 'excellent'."
"AA Thornton is my favourite and most reliable Firm in the UK. It is one of the finest IP Firms in UK."
D Calab Gabriel, Managing Partner, Lex IP Care
"AA Thornton maintains its position among the elite patent practices in the nation, largely based on its frequent successful representation of individuals, academic institutions, SMEs and multinational corporations."
"The 'excellent' A.A. Thornton & Co. 'goes the extra mile to provide outstanding customer service' and has expertise in both contentious and non-contentious matters."
- Automotive & Aerospace
- Medical Devices
- Advising on patentability of inventions
- Drafting patent applications for new inventions
- Prosecution of patent applications in countries around the world
- Representing Clients in person at hearings before the European Patent Office
- Preparing and filing applications to register designs
- Advising on freedom to operate for new products
- Patent portfolio management
- IP due diligence
- Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Patent Attorneys (CIPA)
- Member of the European Patent Institute (EPI)
- Alex began his patent career in 2000 working in a private practice in Suffolk where he trained and qualified as a UK Chartered and European patent attorney
- Alex moved to an in-house role with pharmaceutical company Novartis focusing on medical devices and packaging in 2006
- He joined A.A. Thornton & Co. in July 2014 and was promoted to Senior Associate, in July 2016.
- Alex was promoted to Partner in September 2018
- MA and MEng in Chemical Engineering from the University of Cambridge
- Certificate in Intellectual Property, Queen Mary, University of London
- Qualified as a European patent attorney in 2004
- Qualified as a UK chartered patent attorney in 2004