Alex Bone is a UK Chartered and European Patent Attorney in the Engineering, Physics & Mechanical Devices department. Alex handles patent and design matters in the UK, Europe and around the world.
Alex’s degree in chemical engineering, and interest in engineering in general, allows him to quickly understand a broad range of chemical, mechanical and electromechanical technologies. Alex draws on his years of in-house experience to provide his clients with pragmatic, practical advice allowing them to move projects forward in a cost effective manner with a clear understanding of the IP situation and options. Alex has considerable experience in advising businesses about IP strategy, including managing freedom to operate risks and the harvesting and protection of product developments.
Alex directly represents a variety of established multinational clients at the UK and European patent offices, but has always enjoyed advising smaller clients, particularly those at an early stage of a development project where appropriate IP input can really make a difference to the business.
Alex trained and qualified in private practice with a focus on automotive technology including exhaust treatment, and engine and chassis components, but also technology like medical devices and paint compositions. Alex then moved in-house with Novartis Pharmaceuticals Ltd to provide IP support for medical delivery device and packaging projects. During his time in-house he was involved in IP due diligence relating to a number of acquisitions and licence deals. Alex then joined AA Thornton and continues to advise clients regarding medical devices, and has also worked extensively in oil and gas drilling and food packaging technologies.
When not advising clients Alex is kept busy tutoring and lecturing on the CIPA Patent Administrator’s Course and providing in-house training and tutorials to those preparing for the UK and European Exams. Alex is also a regular clinician at the CIPA Clinics.
Alex works in close proximity to both London and West Sussex regions, but regularly travels across the country and internationally to meet clients.
Areas of interest:
- Start-ups and SMEs
- Green Tech
- Automotive & Aerospace
- Medical Devices
- Oil and Gas
"You [Partner Alex Bone] and your team have been very helpful and efficient during the patent process. Thank you on behalf of Paul, myself and the ABP team."
Bill Stirling, Director & Co-owner of ABP Technology Ltd
"AA Thornton is my favourite and most reliable Firm in the UK. It is one of the finest IP Firms in UK."
D Calab Gabriel, Managing Partner, Lex IP Care
"AA Thornton maintains its position among the elite patent practices in the nation, largely based on its frequent successful representation of individuals, academic institutions, SMEs and multinational corporations."
"The 'excellent' A.A. Thornton & Co. 'goes the extra mile to provide outstanding customer service' and has expertise in both contentious and non-contentious matters."
- Automotive & Aerospace
- Medical Devices
- Advising on patentability of inventions
- Drafting patent applications for new inventions
- Prosecution of patent applications in countries around the world
- Representing Clients in person at hearings before the European Patent Office
- Preparing and filing applications to register designs
- Advising on freedom to operate for new products
- Patent portfolio management
- IP due diligence
- Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Patent Attorneys (CIPA)
- Member of the European Patent Institute (EPI)
- Alex began his patent career in 2000 working in a private practice in Suffolk where he trained and qualified as a UK Chartered and European patent attorney
- Alex moved to an in-house role with pharmaceutical company Novartis focusing on medical devices and packaging in 2006
- He joined AA Thornton in July 2014 and was promoted to Senior Associate, in July 2016.
- Alex was promoted to Partner in September 2018
- MA and MEng in Chemical Engineering from the University of Cambridge
- Certificate in Intellectual Property, Queen Mary, University of London
- Qualified as a European patent attorney in 2004
- Qualified as a UK chartered patent attorney in 2004