Dr Varuni Paranavitane
Senior Associate, Solicitor
Dr Varuni Paranavitane is a solicitor whose main practice area is IP litigation. Whilst she has extensive litigation experience for clients in the pharmaceutical and biotechnology sectors which draws on her previous technical experience as a research Biochemist, she also advises clients in other sectors including fashion, marketing and advertising, finance, food and sports.
"AA Thornton's level of service is 'outstanding' - 'timeliness and appropriateness of advice are a constant' according to clients, who rate the level of scientific knowledge displayed by the partners and associate lawyers as 'excellent'."
"AA Thornton is my favourite and most reliable Firm in the UK. It is one of the finest IP Firms in UK."
D Calab Gabriel, Managing Partner, Lex IP Care
"The 'excellent' A.A. Thornton & Co. 'goes the extra mile to provide outstanding customer service' and has expertise in both contentious and non-contentious matters."
"AA Thornton maintains its position among the elite patent practices in the nation, largely based on its frequent successful representation of individuals, academic institutions, SMEs and multinational corporations."
- Design Rights
- IP Portfolio Management
- IP Litigation
- Cosmetics & Personal Care
- Medical Devices
- Advising clients on exploiting IP rights
- Advising on litigation strategy and potential disputes
- Preparing and filing court documents in England and Wales and at the EUIPO
- Advising on freedom to operate
- Advising on infringement and validity of IP rights
- Advising on trade mark filing strategy
- Intellectual Property Advisory Comittee of the Bio Industry Association
- Prior joining AA Thornton, Varuni was an Associate solicitor at Osborne Clarke LLP, and before that, an Associate solicitor at Bristows
- Prior to training as a solicitor Varuni carried out Biochemistry research at Cambridge University
- Varuni joined AA Thornton in 2017 as an Associate in our IP Litigation team
- Varuni was promoted to Senior Associate in July 2019
- BSc, Imperial College
- PhD, King’s College, Cambridge
- LLB, College of Law
- PGDip in Intellectual Property Law and Practice, Oxford University
- Qualified as a Solicitor in England and Wales in September 2011