Mike Jennings is a Partner and UK Chartered and European Patent Attorney in the Electrical Engineering, Electronics, Telecoms & IT patents department. Mike has vast experience and an enviable success rate in patent prosecution, oppositions and appeals, with specialist expertise in physics-related technologies and computer-related inventions.
Mike is frequently asked to present to IP associations and UK attorneys on behalf of CIPA on various topics including patenting computer-implemented inventions such as AI and computer simulation.
“Mike Jennings is ‘able to solve even the most complex problems with ease’.”
Legal 500 Client Testimonial
“Mike is top-class in terms of his knowledge, skills and expertise. He is highly regarded as an AI expert and provides creative solutions” and a “strategic thinker”. ”
Testimonial in ‘IAM Patent 1000 – The World’s Leading Patent Professionals 2022’
“Mike Jennings is a “brilliant patent prosecutor and advocate for his clients” and a “thought-leader in the development of the law around subject matter eligibility for AI and computer-implemented inventions”.”
Testimonial in ‘IAM Strategy 300 – The World’s Leading IP Strategists 2022’
Mike is married with 2 daughters and 2 sons (and 2 dogs) and is happiest when on the sea, in the mountains, or solving his clients’ trickiest problems. He lives in Winchester UK, just 10 miles from England’s south coat.
At AA Thornton we strive to be an inclusive organisation in which every employee can bring their whole self to work. You can read more about our diversity & inclusion initiatives here and can read the personal commitments made by AA Thornton Partners here.
"Mike Jennings has the benefit of both a very creative approach to legal problem solving and an engagement in the patent community generally and with the EPO and UKIPO, which gives him the ability to understand and even help guide the offices towards appropriate solutions to their challenges while also giving his clients access to insights into the current law and its potential and likely developments"
"Mike Jennings specialises in patent prosecution and oppositions, and advises on a range of technologies including electrical and computer-related inventions."
"AA Thornton's 'top-notch' team advises clients such as Merix Pharmaceutical, RSR Limited and Robert Bosch. Mike Jennings is 'able to solve even the most complex problems with ease'."
"AA Thornton maintains its position among the elite patent practices in the nation, largely based on its frequent successful representation of individuals, academic institutions, SMEs and multinational corporations."
- IP Due Diligence & Freedom to Operate
- IP Strategy & Audits
- IP Transactions, Ownership & Licensing
- IT & Communications
- Robotics and Control Systems
- Electrical Engineering
- Automotive (sensors, CAV) & Aerospace
- Oil & Gas (measurement, logging, computer modelling)
- Patent protection, oppositions and advice for a range of technologies including electrical and computer-related inventions
- Heads our Electrical Engineering, Electronics, Telecoms & IT Patents Department
- Member of the Marketing & Business Development Committee and Management Team
- Fellow of CIPA (UK Chartered Institute of Patent Attorneys)
- Vice-Chair of CIPA Computer Technology Committee
- Member of Institute of Professional Representatives before the European Patent Office (epi)
- Member of Quality Working Group within Standing Advisory Committee before the EPO, SACEPO (appointed 2017-2023)
- Member of AIPPI, including AIPPI’s Standing Committee on IT & Internet
- Member of IP Owners Association European Practice Committee
- Mike began his patent career at one of the leading UK patent and trade mark firms in 1990
- He spent 2 years handling electrical patent work with Spruson & Ferguson in Sydney, Australia
- Mike gained several years industry experience as an in-house senior patent attorney for IBM in the UK handling invention reviews, patent drafting and prosecution and licensing
- He joined AA Thornton in 2007 and became a Partner in 2008. He leads the Electrical Engineering, Electronics, Telecoms & IT Patents team
- BSc Hons Physics, University of Bristol
- Certificate in Intellectual Property, Queen Mary, University of London
- European patent attorney
- Chartered UK patent attorney
- UK Intellectual Property Litigation Certificate
- Consistently recommended in Legal 500 UK
- Personally appointed by two EPO Presidents to SACEPO Quality working group, firstly for 2017-2020, based on “recognised expertise” and reappointed for a further 3 years in 2021 for his ‘many valuable contributions’ to the working group.
- Recognised in the Managing Intellectual Property IP Stars 2020, 2021, 2022
- Recognised in IAM Strategy 300 – The World’s Leading IP Strategists 2022