Mike Jennings is a Partner and UK Chartered and European Patent Attorney in the Electrical Engineering, Electronics, Telecoms & IT patents department. Mike has vast experience in patent prosecution, oppositions and appeals, with specialist expertise in physics-related technologies and computer-related inventions.
"Mike Jennings specialises in patent prosecution and oppositions, and advises on a range of technologies including electrical and computer-related inventions."
"AA Thornton's 'top-notch' team advises clients such as Merix Pharmaceutical, RSR Limited and Robert Bosch. Mike Jennings is 'able to solve even the most complex problems with ease'."
"AA Thornton's level of service is 'outstanding' - 'timeliness and appropriateness of advice are a constant' according to clients, who rate the level of scientific knowledge displayed by the partners and associate lawyers as 'excellent'."
"AA Thornton maintains its position among the elite patent practices in the nation, largely based on its frequent successful representation of individuals, academic institutions, SMEs and multinational corporations."
- IP Due Diligence & Freedom to Operate
- IP Strategy & Audits
- IP Transactions, Ownership & Licensing
- IT & Communications
- Robotics and Control Systems
- Electrical Engineering
- Automotive (sensors, CAV) & Aerospace
- Oil & Gas (measurement, logging, computer modelling)
- Patent protection, oppositions and advice for a range of technologies including electrical and computer-related inventions
- Heads our Electrical Engineering, Electronics, Telecoms & IT Patents Department
- Member of the Marketing & Business Development Committee and Management Team
- Member of Quality working group within Standing Advisory Committee before the European Patent Office (SACEPO)
- Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Patent Attorneys (CIPA)
- Member of the Computer Technology Committee of CIPA
- Member of EPI, AIPPI, LES and HIPLA
- Mike began his patent career at one of the leading UK patent and trade mark firms in 1990
- He spent 2 years handling electrical patent work with Spruson & Ferguson in Sydney, Australia
- Mike gained several years industry experience as an in-house senior patent attorney for IBM in the UK handling invention reviews, patent drafting and prosecution and licensing
- He joined AA Thornton in 2007 and became a Partner in 2008. He leads the Electrical Engineering, Electronics, Telecoms & IT Patents team
- BSc Hons Physics, University of Bristol
- Qualified as a European patent attorney
- Qualified as a UK chartered patent attorney
- Recommended in Legal 500 UK
- Personally appointed by EPO President to SACEPO Quality working group for 2017-2020, based on “recognised expertise”
- Ranked in the Managing Intellectual Property IP Stars 2020/21