Nick South is a Partner and a UK Chartered and European Patent Attorney in the Electrical Engineering, Electronics, Telecoms & IT patents department. Nick deals with patent issues across a wide range of areas, including electromagnetic sensors, semiconductor technology, electric motors, overhead power cables and medical instruments.
"Great work" and "Thank you very much. It is a pleasure working with you (Nick South) Sir."
Leading manufacturer of high performance power and Hall-effect sensor integrated circuits
"AA Thornton maintains its position among the elite patent practices in the nation, largely based on its frequent successful representation of individuals, academic institutions, SMEs and multinational corporations."
"The 'excellent' A.A. Thornton & Co. 'goes the extra mile to provide outstanding customer service' and has expertise in both contentious and non-contentious matters."
Legal 500 (2019)
"AA Thornton's level of service is 'outstanding' - 'timeliness and appropriateness of advice are a constant' according to clients, who rate the level of scientific knowledge displayed by the partners and associate lawyers as 'excellent'."
- Automotive & Aerospace
- Electronics & Electrical Engineering
- IT & Communications
- Medical Devices
- Oil, Gas & Petrochemicals
- Dealing with large and small clients, mainly obtaining patent protection and design registrations
- Advising on related issues such as infringement and validity questions, and handling European opposition proceedings
- Member of the management committee
- Member of the IT and IP systems committee
- Lectures on the CIPA Patent Administrators course
- Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Patent Attorneys (CIPA)
- Member of the European Patent Institute (EPI)
- He joined A.A. Thornton & Co. in 1997
- He became a Senior Associate in 2006
- Nick was promoted to Partner in September 2018
- MA & M Eng Engineering, Trinity College, Cambridge University
- Advanced Course in Design, Manufacture & Management (Post-graduate certificate), Cambridge University
- Certificate in Intellectual Property Law, Queen Mary, University of London
- Qualified as a UK chartered and European patent attorney in 2001
- Qualified as a European design attorney