Simon Spink is a Partner and Solicitor whose main practice areas are Patent and IP litigation and SPCs. He has acted for a range of clients across different sectors including the life sciences, FMCG, and aviation. Simon has considerable industry experience having previously been Head of Legal for a leading international pharmaceutical company.
"The 'excellent' A.A. Thornton & Co. 'goes the extra mile to provide outstanding customer service' and has expertise in both contentious and non-contentious matters."
"AA Thornton is my favourite and most reliable Firm in the UK. It is one of the finest IP Firms in UK."
D Calab Gabriel, Managing Partner, Lex IP Care
"The team at AA Thornton provides an 'overall level of service that is top class', with good industry knowledge."
"AA Thornton’s level of service is 'outstanding' - 'timeliness and appropriateness of advice are a constant' according to clients, who rate the level of scientific knowledge displayed by the partners and associate lawyers as 'excellent'."
- Trade Marks
- IP Due Diligence & Freedom to Operate
- IP Strategy & Audits
- IP Transactions, Ownership & Licensing
- Life Sciences
- Medical Devices
- Edgewell v. Gillette (system razors; validity/infringement)
- Teva v. Synthon (polypeptide synthesis; validity)
- Shionogi v. Merck (integrase inhibitors; validity/infringement)
- Swarovski Optik v. Leica (optical rifle sights; validity)
- Contour v. Virgin Atlantic (business class seats; validity/infringement)
- Lundbeck v. Infosint (pharmaceutical intermediate synthesis; validity/infringement)
- Eli Lilly v. Dr Reddy’s (olanzapine; validity)
- Lundbeck v. Generics (escitalopram; validity)
- P&G v. RB (Design validity/infringement)
- Philips v. LG (JPEG; validity/infringement)
- Qualcomm v. Nokia (2G/3G; validity/infringement)
- The International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property (AIPPI)
- Simon qualified as a Solicitor in 2007
- Before joining AA Thornton Simon worked at Bristows LLP and before that was the Head of Legal at Novartis Animal Health.
- Simon joined AA Thornton as a Partner in September 2019
- MChem, Merton College, Oxford University (2002)
- Post-graduate Diploma in Law, Oxford Brookes (2003)
- Legal Practice Course, OXILP (2004)
- Solicitor, England & Wales (2007)
- Post-graduate Diploma in Intellectual Property, University of Bristol (2008)