Stuart Greenwood is a UK Chartered and European Patent Attorney in the Engineering, Physics & Mechanical devices patent department. Stuart’s clients operate in a range of industry sectors including automotive components and medical & electrical engineering.
"You (Stuart Greenwood) and your colleagues pulled a rabbit out of the hat for our Road Ahead Pot Hole Repair patent, for which I’m extremely grateful."
Matthew Lobley, Managing Director, Road Ahead (UK) Ltd
"AA Thornton's level of service is 'outstanding' - 'timeliness and appropriateness of advice are a constant' according to clients, who rate the level of scientific knowledge displayed by the partners and associate lawyers as 'excellent'."
"The 'excellent' A.A. Thornton & Co. 'goes the extra mile to provide outstanding customer service' and has expertise in both contentious and non-contentious matters."
"AA Thornton maintains its position among the elite patent practices in the nation, largely based on its frequent successful representation of individuals, academic institutions, SMEs and multinational corporations."
- Automotive & Aerospace
- Medical Devices
- Oil, Gas & Petrochemcials
- Handling prosecution of UK and European patent applications from drafting through to grant
- European opposition and appeal work
- Prosecution of PCT applications
- Prosecution of overseas patent applications
- Drafting and recordal of assignments in the UK, Europe and overseas
- Freedom to operate opinions
- Leads in-house tutorials in UK and European law
- Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Patent Attorneys (CIPA)
- Member of the Institute of Professional Representatives before the European Patent Office (EPI)
- Stuart is a UK chartered patent attorney and European patent and design attorney with over ten years’ experience working for AA Thornton in the Engineering, Physics & Mechanical devices department.
- He has particular experience prosecuting UK, European and overseas patent applications in the automotive sector, with an emphasis on autonomous driver aids such as crash avoidance, electronic stability control, lane change and automatic parking. He has also drafted applications in fields as wide ranging as road repair and pothole prevention, to puncture prevention aids, run-flat devices, and bicycle security.
- Before becoming a patent attorney, Stuart worked at Rolls Royce and subsequently Bentley Motors Ltd as an engineer in the chassis and suspension department, specialising in ride handling analysis, and dynamic simulation and optimisation of suspension design, for the Bentley Continental GT.
- Stuart also works for the Chartered Institute of Patent Attorneys as an examiner of trainee patent attorneys. In this role he helps to set and mark the UK final diploma exam – Drafting of Patent Specifications, and he runs tutorials and offers guidance to those pursuing qualification.
- Stuart was promoted to Senior Associate in 2019.
- MEng Mechanical Engineering, University of Leeds
- Certificate in Intellectual Property, Queen Mary, University of London
- UK chartered patent attorney
- Qualified European patent attorney
- Intellectual Property Litigation Certificate, Birkbeck, University of London