Calling all students of quantum computing – have you considered a career as a Patent Attorney?
If you enjoy an intellectual challenge and would like to work with innovators at the cutting-edge of physics-based technologies, this could be the career path for you.
AA Thornton IP LLP has an exciting opportunity for students of quantum computing, who have completed (or soon will complete) an MSc or PhD in quantum computing.
The firm is offering the chance to train with some of the leading names in the Intellectual Property profession and full support to become a Chartered UK Patent Attorney and European Patent Attorney.
Why join AA Thornton?
- You will become part of an award-winning team working with one of the world’s leading developers of quantum computing software and hardware.
- You will have exposure to a broad range of other clients who are pushing the boundaries of patentability in computer-related inventions, communications, electrical/electronic engineering and other physics-based technologies.
- You will be able to use the breadth of your knowledge without being restricted to one niche area and develop additional skills in legal practice.
The appointment of a new trainee patent attorney is part of our ongoing commitment to training and developing talent within the profession. It is a unique opportunity for the right candidate to reap the benefits of working and learning in a friendly, supportive and stimulating environment with like-minded individuals.
What are we looking for?
Our ideal candidate will have at least a first university degree in computer science, physics or a related discipline and will have a good level of knowledge and interest in quantum computing and other computer-related technologies. Experience within the patent profession or within a relevant industry role is desirable, but not essential; many of our attorneys join us straight from university.
The key qualities we are seeking from a trainee include:
- An ability to analyse and accurately summarise technical documents
- Excellent communication skills – verbal and written
- The ability to work independently (including remotely) as well as part of a team
- An appetite for working hard and being an integral part of a highly-qualified team
- Well organised and reliable
- A commitment to professional and career development
- An interest in supporting the firms’ business development activities
It is our aim to create the very best solutions for our clients’ and in order to deliver a focussed client service, it is important that the individuals we employ are pro-active in contributing ideas, creating solutions and seeing them through.
What are we offering?
Trainees receive a broad range of work, which encompasses a variety of technical areas and clients, providing a challenging and intellectually-stimulating career. The firm actively encourages trainees to take advantage of our in-house training and external courses and lectures, and trainees are supported to qualify as both a Chartered UK Patent Attorney and European Patent Attorney.
At AA Thornton it is our people who make the difference, and therefore we take a person centred approach to ensure that our trainees are fully supported, and their individual needs are taken into consideration. To facilitate this, trainees are assigned to a qualified Patent Attorney, who supervises all aspects of training and provides wider support, guidance and a point of contact. We also work hard to ensure our internal communication, our wellbeing and inclusion strategies are a business priority and underpin our belief that everyone should be able to bring their whole self to work. We are committed to recruiting the very best talent from diverse pool, providing training and putting in place appropriate adjustments, to nurture that talent. We offer flexible working have a truly agile workforce post pandemic. It is an exciting time to join the firm.
Explore our website to find out what our clients are saying about us and meet our team of attorneys.
Please apply by email with your CV and a covering letter explaining your suitability for the role to Karen Genuardi, Head of People at firstname.lastname@example.org.