Adrian Bennett is a Partner and UK Chartered & European Patent Attorney within our Engineering, Physics and Mechanical devices patent department. His specialist areas of knowledge include fluid mechanics, oil and gas exploration technology, hand-held power tools, engine design, control systems, aerodynamics and aircraft design. Adrian is currently the Chair of the partnership.
- IP Due Diligence & Freedom to Operate
- IP Strategy & Audits
- IP Transactions, Ownership & Licensing
- Automotive & Aerospace
- Medical Devices
- Oil, Gas & Petrochemicals
Adrian has considerable experience in the original drafting of patent applications and their prosecution around the world. He also has considerable experience at leading oral proceedings at the European Patent Office and regularly handles these matters, including proceedings before the Examining Division and particularly proceedings before the Opposition Division and Board of Appeal. Other principal areas of work include advising clients in infringement matters, for example by way of Freedom to Operate opinions, and instructing Counsel as appropriate.
- Member of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers (iMechE)
- Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Patent Attorneys (CIPA)
- Member of the European Patent Institute (EPI)
- Member of the International Liaison Committee of CIPA (ILC) – representing the Institute and UK profession internationally
Prior to joining the firm, Adrian worked with British Aerospace Defence Ltd for eight years, four of which were spent in the Military Aircraft Division and four in the Dynamics Division. The latter included 18 months as an undergraduate mechanical engineer, during which time Adrian worked with the development of piezoelectric sonar array technology, and hypersonic aerodynamic modelling software. Whilst with the Dynamics Division, Adrian worked as an advanced technologies engineer, involved specifically with the performance and configuration aspects of combat aircraft design. Adrian entered the patent profession in 1995, and a year later, joined the Northampton office of A. A. Thornton & Co. Adrian became a partner of the firm in 2007, and now works from our London office.
- BA Hons Mechanical Engineering
- Post-graduate Diploma in Law
- UK Chartered Mechanical Engineer
- Qualified as a UK Chartered Patent Attorney
- Qualified as a European Patent Attorney
- Highly recommended in Legal 500 UK