Dr. Simon Davies
Dr. Simon Davies is a consultant and UK Chartered and European Patent Attorney in the Electrical, Engineering, Electronics, Telecoms & IT patents department.
Simon has extensive experience supporting clients across a wide range of computing technologies, including silicon devices and fabrication, network and storage infrastructure, compilers, cloud computing, database systems, image, speech and signal processing, artificial intelligence, and data and voice communications.
Simon is chair of the Computer Technology Committee of the Chartered Institute of Patent Attorneys (CIPA) and a former member of CIPA Council. He has spoken many times on topics relating to the patentability of computer-implemented inventions.
- Patent filing
- prosecution and advice, primarily in the field of computing and related technologies
Simon started his career in the IBM UK IP department where he trained and qualified as a patent attorney before becoming manager of a team of patent attorneys. This work provided an in-house perspective and understanding of the business role of intellectual property. Simon then joined a private practice firm where he became a partner, before moving to AA Thornton as a consultant in 2020.
- Physics BA from Oxford University
- Physics PhD from Southampton University
- Qualified as a UK chartered patent attorney (1993)
- Qualified as a European patent attorney (1993)
- Qualified as a UK registered trade mark attorney (1994)
- European Patent Institute (EPI)
- Chartered Institute of Patent Attorneys (CIPA)