Suzanne Power is a Chartered Trade Mark Attorney in our Trade Mark team who are highly ranked by Legal 500 and a number of IP directories, obtaining particular recognition for the strength of client support and service they provide. Suzanne handles trade mark, design and copyright matters in the UK, EU and overseas.
Suzanne is particularly experienced in prosecuting and enforcing clients’ IP rights overseas, having overseen client matters in over 170 territories worldwide. Her knowledge of foreign trade systems allows her to deliver strategic advice and support to clients looking to expand into new markets or enforce existing rights overseas. She supplements this with skills in several foreign languages, to provide input on foreign language legal submissions and evidence, and draft bilingual settlement agreements.
Suzanne’s client base includes FTSE 100 companies, SMEs and start-ups, with a particular focus on the fashion, food and drink and pharmaceutical industries. Suzanne also supports foreign associates seeking to represent their clients’ interests in the UK and EU, such as in co-ordinated efforts to tackle international counterfeiting. A recent partnership with the US counsel of an international toy manufacturer led to Suzanne successfully invalidating the EU design registrations of six counterfeiters, and opposing an EU trade mark application on the basis of the UK law of passing off, to curb imports of counterfeit products into the EU.
Outside of her day to day practice, Suzanne is an active member of the Pharmaceutical Trade Marks Group (PTMG), and regularly writes on commercial and legal developments in the pharma space for our own and third party publications.
"The team at AA Thornton provides an ‘overall level of service that is top class, with good industry knowledge."
"AA Thornton renders tailored trademark and IP services to a distinguished clientele."
"AA Thornton is my favourite and most reliable Firm in the UK. It is one of the finest IP Firms in UK."
D Calab Gabriel, Managing Partner, Lex IP Care
"The 'excellent' A.A. Thornton & Co. 'goes the extra mile to provide outstanding customer service' and has expertise in both contentious and non-contentious matters."
- Design Rights
- Domain Names
- Trade Marks
- Cosmetics & Personal Care
- Prosecution of UK, EU, International and foreign national trade mark applications
- Undertaking and advising on the results of clearance searches, to check for conflicts with earlier intellectual property rights
- Advising on infringement and enforcement of intellectual property rights, including handling opposition, revocation and invalidity proceedings at the UK IPO and the EU IPO
- Negotiating agreements with third parties regarding use and registration of intellectual property rights
- Devising strategies for the long-term management of intellectual property portfolio
- Advising in relation to copyright and design protection
- Chartered Institute of Trade Mark Attorneys (CITMA)
- Pharmaceutical Trade Marks Group (PTMG)
- She joined A.A. Thornton & Co. after graduating in 2013
- She qualified as a Chartered Trade Mark Attorney in September 2015
- Suzanne was promoted to Associate in 2018
- Suzanne was promoted to Senior Associate in July 2019
- BA Hons French & Linguistics, Jesus College, University of Oxford
- Postgraduate Certificate in Trade Mark Law and Practice (Distinction), Queen Mary University of London
- Professional Certificate in Trade Mark Practice (Distinction), Nottingham Trent University
- Chartered Trade Mark Attorney