Daniel Byrne is a Partner and Barrister with extensive experience in intellectual property disputes and transactions. He has spent many years dealing with complex and technical patent matters and he has experience of multijurisdictional litigation and coordination, particularly across Europe where he spent two years practising in Paris.
He has acted for clients across the full range of intellectual property rights at all levels of tribunal and has been a Deputy District Judge in the County Court since 2015. He also sits in the Intellectual Property Enterprise Court to hear, primarily, trade mark and copyright claims. He sits on the consulting editorial board for LEXIS-NEXIS IP and contributes to journals and academic programmes.
At AA Thornton we strive to be an inclusive organisation in which every employee can bring their whole self to work. You can read more about our diversity & inclusion initiatives here and can read the personal commitments made by AA Thornton Partners here.
"Dan was superb and helped us through our case, clearly explaining the next steps and giving superb advice, that resulted in a great outcome for us."
Matt Gowar, CEO of Equip Outdoor Technologies UK Ltd
"AA Thornton is my favourite and most reliable Firm in the UK. It is one of the finest IP Firms in UK."
D Calab Gabriel, Managing Partner, Lex IP Care
"Dan Byrne and AA Thornton have been the best service providers and legal advisors throughout. They have always had our interests as a priority and have been consistently professional in delivering exceptional levels of service."
Donna Hartley Director - Rompa Limited
- Trade Marks
- IP Due Diligence & Freedom to Operate
- IP Strategy & Audits
- IP Transactions, Ownership & Licensing
- Medical Devices
- IT & Communications
- Aesop v Grown Alchemist (France: unfair competition case concerning branding of beauty products)
- J&J v Sandoz (France: interim injunction concerning darunavir biosimilar covered by SPC)
- Sanofi v Mylan (France: searches and seizures concerning insulin injection pen; patent infringement and validity)
- Wobben v Siemens (method of operating a wind turbine; patent validity and infringement)
- Allergan v Ipsen (second medical use – botulinum toxin for treating incontinence; patent infringement and validity)
- Biogen, Genentech, Roche v Celltrion (biosimilar product rituximab; patent validity)
- Unwired Planet v Samsung (mobile telecommunications – 2G to 3G handover; standards essential patent in the context of a FRAND dispute)
- Nestle v Cadbury (infringement and validity of shape trade mark for rolos)
- Cadbury v Nestle (validity of shape trade mark for kit kat; EU General Court)
- Inner Temple
- International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property (AIPPI)
- The Bar Association for Commercial Finance & Industry (BACFI)
- Dan was called to the bar in 2005 and qualified in specialist intellectual property chambers in London.
- He has, since 2007, worked in law firms, including over 5 years in the IP litigation department at Bristows in London and 2 years in the IP litigation department at Gide Loyrette Nouel in Paris.
- He was appointed as a Deputy District Judge in 2015 and sits from time to time in the County Courts of London, including in the Intellectual Property Enterprise Court (small claims).
- Dan joined AA Thornton as a Partner in September 2019.
- BSc Molecular Biology & Biochemistry, Durham University
- MA in Biotechnological Law & Ethics, Sheffield University
- CPE, City University
- Bar Vocational Course, BPP Law School
- Barrister in England & Wales