Daniel Byrne is a Partner and Barrister with extensive experience in intellectual property disputes and transactions. He has spent many years dealing with complex and technical patent matters and he has experience of multijurisdictional litigation and coordination, particularly across Europe where he spent two years practising in Paris.
He has acted for clients across the full range of intellectual property rights at all levels of tribunal and has been a Deputy District Judge in the County Court since 2015. He also sits in the Intellectual Property Enterprise Court to hear, primarily, trade mark and copyright claims. He sits on the consulting editorial board for LEXIS-NEXIS IP and contributes to journals and academic programmes.
"The 'excellent' A.A. Thornton & Co. 'goes the extra mile to provide outstanding customer service' and has expertise in both contentious and non-contentious matters."
"AA Thornton is my favourite and most reliable Firm in the UK. It is one of the finest IP Firms in UK."
D Calab Gabriel, Managing Partner, Lex IP Care
"The team at AA Thornton provides an 'overall level of service that is top class', with good industry knowledge."
"AA Thornton maintains its position among the elite patent practices in the nation, largely based on its frequent successful representation of individuals, academic institutions, SMEs and multinational corporations."
- Trade Marks
- IP Due Diligence & Freedom to Operate
- IP Strategy & Audits
- IP Transactions, Ownership & Licensing
- Medical Devices
- IT & Communications
- Aesop v Grown Alchemist (France: unfair competition case concerning branding of beauty products)
- J&J v Sandoz (France: interim injunction concerning darunavir biosimilar covered by SPC)
- Sanofi v Mylan (France: searches and seizures concerning insulin injection pen; patent infringement and validity)
- Wobben v Siemens (method of operating a wind turbine; patent validity and infringement)
- Allergan v Ipsen (second medical use – botulinum toxin for treating incontinence; patent infringement and validity)
- Biogen, Genentech, Roche v Celltrion (biosimilar product rituximab; patent validity)
- Unwired Planet v Samsung (mobile telecommunications – 2G to 3G handover; standards essential patent in the context of a FRAND dispute)
- Nestle v Cadbury (infringement and validity of shape trade mark for rolos)
- Cadbury v Nestle (validity of shape trade mark for kit kat; EU General Court)
- Inner Temple
- International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property (AIPPI)
- The Bar Association for Commercial Finance & Industry (BACFI)
- Dan was called to the bar in 2005 and qualified in specialist intellectual property chambers in London.
- He has, since 2007, worked in law firms, including over 5 years in the IP litigation department at Bristows in London and 2 years in the IP litigation department at Gide Loyrette Nouel in Paris.
- He was appointed as a Deputy District Judge in 2015 and sits from time to time in the County Courts of London, including in the Intellectual Property Enterprise Court (small claims).
- Dan joined AA Thornton as a Partner in September 2019.
- BSc Molecular Biology & Biochemistry, Durham University
- MA in Biotechnological Law & Ethics, Sheffield University
- CPE, City University
- Bar Vocational Course, BPP Law School
- Barrister in England & Wales