Geoff Hussey heads the litigation team. Geoff’s main practice areas are IP litigation and Commercial IP. His experience as a Partner and Solicitor includes acting for a broad range of clients in many sectors including life sciences, electronics, telecoms, chemicals, aviation, food & beverages and financial services.
“Geoff Hussey simplifies everything and makes managing litigation easy for in-house counsel. A strategic, pragmatic and commercially minded lawyer, he knows how to read adversaries and when to apply leverage. Straightforward and easy to work with.”
Legal 500 Client Testimonial
At AA Thornton we strive to be an inclusive organisation in which every employee can bring their whole self to work. You can read more about our diversity & inclusion initiatives here and can read the personal commitments made by AA Thornton Partners here.
“It is always reassuring to know that we have AA Thornton standing by to advise us all on IP and trade mark matters. Geoff Hussey and his team of lawyers and attorneys always provide us with first class advice and guidance. We would like to thank Sarah Neil for her great work on the recent sale of our European price comparison businesses to ZPG.”
Dan Caunt, Head of Legal, Admiral Group
"Following the arrival of IP litigator Geoff Hussey, who joined from Bird & Bird LLP, the team is increasingly handling high-stakes contentious patent cases."
"Geoff Hussey is a go-to man for all issues on IP. He puts the intellectual into intellectual property."
"The team at AA Thornton provides an ‘overall level of service that is top class, with good industry knowledge."
"Geoff Hussey simplifies everything and makes managing litigation easy for in-house counsel. A strategic, pragmatic and commercially minded lawyer, he knows how to read adversaries and when to apply leverage. Straightforward and easy to work with.."
D Calab Gabriel, Managing Partner, Lex IP Care
- Litigation across the full IP spectrum
- Licences and disputes
- IP Due Diligence & Freedom to Operate
- IP Strategy & Audits
- IP Transactions, Ownership & Licensing
- IT & Communications
- Medical Devices
- Cambridge Quantum Computing v River Lane (quantum chemistry)
- Adolf Nissen v Horizont (road traffic warning signs)
- Dr Reddy’s & Sandoz v Napp (buprenorphine patch)
- ConvaTec v Smith & Nephew (silverised gel-forming wound dressings)
- Menicon v Coopervision (contact lenses)
- LG v Sony (blu-ray, DVD and TV)
- Nokia v IPCom (mobile phones)
- GE Healthcare v PerkinElmer (scintillation proximity assays)
- Nikken v Pioneer (drill chucks)
Trade Marks & Passing Off
- Virgin Enterprises v Virginic (cosmetics)
- Radley v Poundworld (bags)
- easyGroup v easyJet (airline brand licence)
- EMI v BSkyB: NOW TV (TV service)
- ScanSafe v MessageLabs (internet scanning software)
- Poul Chang v Bailcast (cv boot tool)
- PMS international v Spin Master (children’s toy)
- Navitaire v easyJet (airline booking system)
- The International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property (AIPPI)
- Geoff joined Field Fisher Waterhouse in 2003, where he trained and qualified into their IP department as a solicitor in 2005
- Geoff joined Bird & Bird’s IP department in 2007
- Geoff joined AA Thornton as a Partner in May 2016
- BSc Human Genetics, Nottingham University
- Post-graduate Diploma in Law and LPC, Nottingham Law School
- Diploma in Intellectual Property Law and Practice, University of Bristol
- Solicitor in England & Wales
- Recommended in Legal 500 UK